Catholic Sisters Leadership Council
of Western Pennsylvania (CSLC)
Officers of the newly reorganized Catholic Sisters Leadership Council of Western Pennsylvania, from left, are Sister Benita DeMatteis, OSB, treasurer; Sister Susan Sisko, OSBM, co-chair; Sister Mary Norbert Long, SC, secretary; and Sister Maria Fest, CDP, co-chair. (Photo: Barb Hecht)
The Catholic Sisters Leadership Council (CSLC) of Western Pennsylvania is composed of the leadership from the congregations of women religious whose motherhouses are located in the dioceses of Pittsburgh, Greensburg, and Altoona-Johnstown. The group meets regularly to discuss issues, share information, and plan activities that will further affect change in the region. Among its current projects are:
- Founding and offering ongoing support to Sisters Place, Inc., a means of permanent and transitional housing for homeless, single parents and their children in southwestern Pennsylvania;
- Working collaboratively with the PATH To Justice committee to spearhead educational programs to alert the public to the issue of the trafficking of human persons and how it affects western Pennsylvania;
- Developing ways that women religious can respond to the needs of undocumented person, as well as providing a forum for education and discussion of this critical issue;
- Exploring ways that local women religious can be responsive in times of disaster in our area;
- Participating in the activities initiated by the LCWR.
Overseeing the projects initiated by the Collaborative Communications Committee, composed of communication professionals representing member organizations. Recent projects include organizing members’ participation in the 2007 Pittsburgh Women’s Show, developing a collaborative web site, http://sistersofwpa.org, to promote women religious serving in the region, and working with PATH to publicize their educational events.